The Important Aspect In Treating UTI Assignment Discussion
Loulsa is a 88 year old temale admitted to a medical unit to rule out a UII. Assessment findings: A\&O (new onset per family), PERRLA, no facial droop or tongue deviation, regular respirations, symmetrical and unlabored, lung sounds: all lobes clear to auscultation, no edema regular aniral nulce +? nedal and radial nulces rlnudvu urine r/n urinarv frenıencv uroe and nain + hnwel couındc in all 4 nuıadrantc with a coft ahdnmen RM :: The client will verbalize 4 ways to prevent urinary infection by discharge. :i The client will report pain during urination by discharge. :: The client will have no evidence of infection by discharge.
This solution was written by a subject matter expert. It’s designed to help students like you learn core concepts. The Important Aspect In Treating UTI Assignment Discussion
1. Relevant assessment information:
- Increased frequency of urination
- Dysuria (pain while passing urine)
- Cloudy urine
- Temperature of 101.2 F
Increased frequency of urine, pain while passing urine and fever is characteristic features of UTI.
2. To confirm diagnosis:
- Collect and send urine for urine examination and microscopy.
- Urine culture and sensitivity.
Mid stream urine must be collected for urineanalysis.
Presence of bacteria ,large number of pus cell in urine microscopy examination is suggestive of urinary tract infection.
Urine culture and sensitivity test helps to identify culprit micro organism and various antibiotics available to treat particular infection.
3. Solution for the patient: The Important Aspect In Treating UTI Assignment Discussion
- Fluid intake 2 to 3 litres per day.
- Proper perineal care.
- Avoid bubble bath.
- Avoid tight fitting clothes.
4. Intervention done by the nurse:
- Administration of antibiotics.
- To provide proper perineal care.
- Educating client to prevent urinary infection.
- Educating to prevent recurrent UTI.
- Educating about the S and S of UTI.
Antibiotic administration is the important aspect in treating UTI. Empirical antibiotic can be started before culture and sensitivity report available. Majority of UTI caused by gram negative bacilli, eg- E.coli, Pseudomonas, proteus, therfore empirical antibiotic should be chosen such a way that it’s effective against gram negative organism.
5. Effectiveness of intervention:
- Reduction of sign and symptoms of UTI.
- Pain 0/10 while passing urine.
- No evidence of infection.
Explanation: The Important Aspect In Treating UTI Assignment Discussion
Repeat urine examination and microscopy should be done to assess response to intervention. When urine analysis demonstrates, no bacteria pus cell within normal limit, patinet can be discharged on oral antibiotics along with proper education to prevent recurrence.
UTI is one of the important preventable infection.
Majority of them caused by lack of hygiene, urinary tract stones,reduced intake of oral fluids etc.
Early recognition of signs and symptoms, institution of appropriate antibiotics is essential part of management.
Recurrent infections can lead to damage to kidney, therefore it’s essential to educate the patient about prevention of recurrent UTI. The Important Aspect In Treating UTI Assignment Discussion