Social Determinants Of Health Essay Discussion Paper
Michelle S., a 19yo. Indigenous woman presented to the outpatient clinic for STBBI screening after starting a new intimate relationship. Unfortunately, you learn that she is currently experiencing homelessness after being kicked out of her parent’s house since they do not approve of her new boyfriend. Her boyfriend has recently been asking her to perform sexual acts that she is not comfortable with, but she says that she wants to make him happy so that he can continue to support her financially. She later mentions that she has continued to have multiple sexual partners over the course of this new relationship, and that this is at the request of her new boyfriend, who gets very angry if she does not comply. List 3 Social Determinants of Health that may contribute to Michelle’s vulnerability to sex trafficking. For each one, give one reason that it applies to Michelle’s case.
This solution was written by a subject matter expert. It’s designed to help students like you learn core concepts. Social Determinants Of Health Essay Discussion Paper
Question- Case study of Michelle S.
Answer- First of all, one needs to understand the meaning of social determinants of health in brief. So, social determinants of health are the external factors that can have an impact on the health of a person. For example, age could be proven to be an important determinant for healthy living. Aged persons suffer the most in a population. In this way, an enormous number of factors could be present that could have an impact on someone’s health.
These factors are broadly divided into five categories. They are: 1) economic condition; 2) healthcare facilities; 3) quality of education; 4) personal lifestyle (social and community level); and 5) locality and neighbourhood.
Definition of social determinants of health with example.
Human trafficking is defined as holding and mobilizing
a person illegally against his or her will for someone’s personal benefit. Sexual exploitation and trafficking are two of the most dreaded aspects of human trafficking.
It has been observed that a few particular groups of people are most vulnerable to this heinous crime. In this specific case, one can find some clues that can lead one to think that the subject may be vulnerable to trafficking.
List of those hints are: 1) woman;
2) age- 19 years.
2) have no support from parents and are homeless
3) financially unstable
4) exploitation against her will.
Explanation: Social Determinants Of Health Essay Discussion Paper
Discussion regarding human trafficking.
In this case, the most important social determinants that may lead to the trafficking of the subject are:
1) Poverty (comes under an economic condition): She does not earn to date and is dependent upon the person of the opposite gender for finances. This would lead to submissive behavior in the victim.
2) Homelessness (comes under economic condition): As she does not have a home, she will be dependent upon someone to let her stay. This may lead to a case of trafficking. It has been observed that the majority of the victims of trafficking belong to this category.
3) Gender inequality (social factor): The female gender is the most vulnerable to human trafficking, and it has been observed that over 85% of female trafficking victims are also victims of sexual exploitation.
The three determinants that may contribute to human trafficking in this case are- 1) Poverty, 2) Homelessness, 3) Gender inequality. Social Determinants Of Health Essay Discussion Paper