47. A nurse is reinforcing teaching about decreasing the risk of osteoporosis to a client who is postmenopausal. Which of the following instruments should the nurse include? a) Increase daily intake of vitamin E b) Add a weight-bearing exercise regimen c) Limit vitamin intake d) Take calcium carbonate supplements once a day with breakfast
- Advice on osteoporosis risk and associated fractures.
- Provide recommendations for a diet that includes enough total calcium intake (1000 mg/day for men 50–70; 1200 mg/day for women 51 and older and men 71 and older); if the diet is insufficient, dietary supplements can be added
- For people over the age of 50, provide advice on vitamin D intake (800–1000 IU/day), including supplements if necessary.
- Encourage regular weight-bearing and muscle-strengthening exercise to enhance balance, posture, agility, and bone strength as well as lower the risk of falls and fractures.