Public Health Service Act Essay Example
On 05/08/2019, a bill (HR 2581) was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives to amend the Public Health Service Act. It would establish federal staffing guidelines for nurses in hospitals. Unfortunately, the bill stalled in committee and was never brought to the floor for a vote. The proposed staffing ratios were as follows:
Trauma Emergency Unit 1:1
Operating Room (One additional person must serve as a scrub assist.) 1:1
Critical Care Units 2:1
Emergency Room Units; Pediatric Units; Stepdown Units; Telemetry Units; Antepartum Units; and combined Labor, Delivery, & Postpartum Units 3:1
Medical-Surgical Units, Intermediate Care Nursery Units, Acute Psychiatric Care Units, and Other Specialty Care Units 4:1
Rehabilitation Units and Skilled Nursing Units 5:1
Postpartum (3 mom & baby couplets) and Well-Baby Nursery Units 6:1
1. Do you believe these are reasonable staffing ratios? Why or why not? Would there be an economic impact on hospitals if these ratios were enacted?
2. Since this bill “died in committee”, no further action was taken on it. How can we, as nurses, get a nurse-to-patient staffing ratio passed on a state or federal level?
3. What kinds of difficulties do nurse leaders (not staff nurses) have where you work (or in an agency with which you are familiar) when it comes to scheduling and staffing? Would this kind of proposed staffing ratio help?
- Nurse leaders may face difficulties in scheduling and staffing due to various reasons such as budget constraints, staff turnover, unexpected absences, and fluctuating patient volumes. They may also have to balance the needs of the patients, the staff, and the organization, which can be challenging. The proposed staffing ratio could help nurse leaders in ensuring adequate staffing levels and reducing workload for the nurses. However, it may also pose challenges such as increased labor costs and difficulties in finding and retaining qualified nurses, particularly in rural or underserved areas.
- Nurse leaders face various challenges when it comes to scheduling and staffing, such as inadequate staffing levels, budget constraints, and turnover. The proposed staffing ratio may help alleviate some of these issues by providing a clear guideline for staffing levels. However, implementing these ratios would require collaboration between nurse leaders and hospital administrators to ensure that adequate resources are allocated to maintain safe staffing levels while balancing financial constraints. Public Health Service Act Essay Example