21. In maximum of 200 words, identify the sequence for putting on and removing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) outlined in the Australian Guidelines for Preventing and Controlling Infection in Healthcare 2019. You must include the following: • The correct sequence for putting on and removing PPE • Techniques for fitting PPE • Preventing contamination while applying, wearing and removing PPE.
- Perform hand hygiene before putting on PPE.
- Put on the gown or apron, ensuring that it covers the front and back of the body, and fasten it securely.
- Put on the mask or respirator, ensuring that it covers the nose and mouth or nose, mouth, and chin, and that it fits tightly to the face.
- Put on eye protection, such as goggles or a face shield, ensuring that it covers the eyes and the surrounding areas.
- Remove gloves first, using the appropriate technique to avoid touching the contaminated surfaces of the gloves.
- Remove the gown or apron by unfastening it at the neck and waist and pulling it away from the body, ensuring that the contaminated surface does not come into contact with the skin or clothing.
- Remove eye protection, such as goggles or a face shield, by holding the earpieces or headband and pulling it away from the face.
- Remove the mask or respirator, using the appropriate technique to avoid touching the contaminated surface, and perform hand hygiene.