Measuring The Length Of The Nasogastric Essay Paper
1.Identify the method of measuring the length of the nasogastric (NG) tube for insertion. 2. Specify what should be done to the NG tube prior to insertion. 3. Describe the patient’s position and how it changes during NG insertion.
This solution was written by a subject matter expert. It’s designed to help students like you learn core concepts Measuring The Length Of The Nasogastric Essay Paper
The nasogastric tube is tube that is insert from the nose into the stomach.
- Explanation for step 1
The indication for nasogastric tube insertion are:
- For decompression of the stomach in case of intestinal obstruction and paralytic ileus.
- For gastric wash in case of poisoning
- Sample collection of gastric content.
- To administration of gastric feeds and medication
Answer 1: Measuring The Length Of The Nasogastric Essay Paper
- A nasogastric tube of the correct size needs to be selected before insertion.
- Explanation for step 2
The length of the nasogastric tube can measure by:
Extending the tube from the tip of the nose to the ear lobe and from the ear lobe to the point between the end of the sternum and navel.
Question 2: The following things should be done before the Ng tube insertion
- Explanation for step 3
- Counsel the patient regarding the process.
- Don’t counsel the patient too long, as it may discourage or make the patient anxious.
- The patient should be made to sit or in the high fowler’s position.
- The bigger nostril should be selected. the patient should be asked to blow nose to clear it.
- The tube should be lubricated with a water soluble lubricants.
- Keep a glass of water ready so that the patient can drink during the procedure.
- Explanation for step 4
- The patient should be asked to breathe through the nose.
- The patient should be asked to bend the neck.
- This closes the trachea.
- It moves the trachea forward and opens up the esophagus.
- This permits the easy passage of the NG tube into the stomach.
Therefore, NG tube insertion is a outpatient’s department. There are host of things before the tube insertion. The patient should be asked to sit in the sitting position if conscious. If the patient is unconscious position, the NG tube can be inserted in the lateral decubitus position Measuring The Length Of The Nasogastric Essay Paper