Measuring Of Surgical Quality Care Essay Discussion Paper
Surgical patients readmitted to hospital, caesarean section rate, and cardiac revascularization rate are examples of which of the following: a. Diagnosis b. Audit report c. Metric d. Health system performance indicator Which of the following is a tool for assessing the likelihood and consequence of a risk event: a. Root cause analysis b. Run chart c. Histogram d. Enterprise risk management A nurse is working in a busy, crowded emergency department. He is instructed by the doctor to get a vial of heparin ffush for a patient, but retrieves potassium as the vials are almost identical. The patient screams with pain when they are injected. The nurse feels terrible and afraid they will be fired. a. Describe background factors that may have contributed to this error b. What steps would you take to address this error c. Describe strategies to prevent this error from occuring again. (1-2 short paragraphs) Measuring Of Surgical Quality Care Essay Discussion Paper
This solution was written by a subject matter expert. It’s designed to help students like you learn core concepts.
The correct answer is c. Metric.
Explanation: Measuring Of Surgical Quality Care Essay Discussion Paper
A metric is a quantitative measure used to evaluate, track, and assess the performance or outcomes of a system, process, or program. In healthcare, metrics are used to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness, efficiency, and quality of care delivery.
Surgical patients readmitted to the hospital, caesarean section rate, and cardiac revascularization rate are all examples of metrics used in healthcare to evaluate the quality and effectiveness of surgical care.
The wrong answers are:
a. Diagnosis: A diagnosis is a medical condition or disease identified through a process of examination, testing, and evaluation of symptoms, signs, and medical history. It is not a measure of healthcare performance.
b. Audit report: An audit report is a document that summarizes the findings of an audit, which is an independent examination of financial or operational records and processes. While audit reports may include metrics, they are not themselves metrics.
d. Health system performance indicator: Health system performance indicators are measures of overall health system performance, such as access to care, quality of care, and population health outcomes. While surgical patients readmitted to the hospital, caesarean section rate, and cardiac revascularization rate may be used as indicators of health system performance, they are more specifically metrics used to evaluate surgical care.
The correct answer is d. Enterprise risk management.
Enterprise risk management (ERM) is a tool used to assess the likelihood and consequence of a risk event. It involves identifying potential risks that could impact an organization’s objectives and evaluating the likelihood and impact of those risks. ERM helps organizations to manage risks proactively and to make informed decisions to mitigate potential risks. It involves a structured and systematic approach to identifying, assessing, and managing risks across an organization.
Wrong answers and explanations:
a. Root cause analysis – Root cause analysis is a tool used to identify the underlying causes of an event, problem or issue. It focuses on identifying the root cause of a problem rather than assessing the likelihood and consequence of a risk event.
b. Run chart – A run chart is a tool used to display data over time. It can help identify trends, patterns, and shifts in data but is not specifically designed to assess the likelihood and consequence of a risk event.
c. Histogram – A histogram is a tool used to display data distribution. It shows the frequency of data within a range or bin of values. While it can be used to identify areas of risk, it is not specifically designed to assess the likelihood and consequence of a risk event.
a. Background factors that may have contributed to this error:
- High workload and stress in the busy emergency department
- Similarity in appearance and labeling of the heparin and potassium vials
- Lack of proper labeling and storage procedures
- Lack of double-checking procedures and communication between the nurse and the doctor
b. Steps to address this error:
- The nurse should immediately inform the doctor and the patient about the error and apologize for the harm caused.
- The patient’s condition should be closely monitored, and appropriate medical interventions should be taken to treat any adverse reactions or complications.
- The nurse should report the error to their supervisor or the hospital’s incident reporting system to document and investigate the incident.
- The nurse should seek support from colleagues, peers, or a counselor to cope with the emotional distress and trauma caused by the error.
c. Strategies to prevent this error from occurring again: Measuring Of Surgical Quality Care Essay Discussion Paper
- Labeling and storing of heparin and potassium vials should be improved to minimize the risk of confusion and error.
- Double-checking procedures should be established and followed by healthcare professionals when administering medications or performing other critical tasks.
- Education and training programs should be implemented to improve the knowledge and skills of healthcare professionals in medication safety, error reporting, and communication.
- Technology and automation solutions, such as barcoding and electronic prescribing systems, can be implemented to reduce the risk of medication errors.
In summary, preventing medication errors requires a multi-faceted approach that involves improving the work environment, establishing effective communication and double-checking procedures, providing education and training, and leveraging technology and automation solutions. When an error occurs, healthcare professionals should take immediate steps to address the error, report it, and seek support to prevent further harm and improve patient safety.
In this we discuss about risks that occur during emergency and how to overcome it. And also measuring of surgical quality care providence to the patients Measuring Of Surgical Quality Care Essay Discussion Paper