What did you find most interesting about Being Mortal? Did your perspective towards end-of-life issues change? How can healthcare professionals better help patients navigate end-of-life issues?
• What I found most interesting about Being Mortal was the exploration of the idea that medical professionals need to focus on quality of life rather than quantity of life. The idea that medical professionals should focus on quality of life rather than quantity of life is an important one that is explored in Being Mortal. This is because the amount of time someone has left to live is often very difficult to predict and quality of life often has a greater impact on the patient’s overall wellbeing. Healthcare Professionals Essay Discussion Paper
•The book emphasizes the importance of involving the patient in decisions about their care and lifestyle, as well as striving to make the most of the time that they have left. Doctors should not just focus on extending a patient’s life at any cost, but rather strive to make sure their remaining years are as comfortable and meaningful as possible.
• When it comes to end-of-life issues, the focus should be on maximizing the quality of life for the patient, rather than extending life at all costs. This perspective shifted my view on end-of-life issues, and emphasized the importance of being able to make informed decisions regarding treatment and care. This shift in perspective has helped me to recognize that end-of-life care should not be focused solely on extending life as long as possible. Instead, the focus should be on maximizing the quality of life for the patient by providing them with the best possible care and support.
• This includes providing them with access to the most up-to-date treatments, providing emotional and psychological support, and understanding their wishes and preferences regarding end-of-life care. By understanding these wishes and preferences, we can ensure that the patient is able to make informed decisions about their care and treatment. Additionally, we can also ensure that the patient is as comfortable as possible and that their quality of life is maximized.
• Healthcare professionals can better help patients navigate end-of-life issues by being open and honest with the patient and their family and providing them with all the information they need to make the best decisions. They should also be willing to listen and respect a patient’s wishes, and be open to discussing their options and helping them find the best solution for their unique situation. It is also important for healthcare professionals to recognize the importance of quality of life and to be willing to discuss end-of-life issues and plan for end-of-life care.
• Healthcare professionals should provide the patient and their family with information about the patient’s condition, prognosis, and treatment options, as well as resources to help them understand and make informed decisions. Healthcare professionals should also be available to answer any questions and provide emotional support. It is important to remember that the patient and their family should be given the opportunity to make their own decisions and that healthcare professionals should respect those decisions. Additionally, healthcare professionals should ensure that the patient is comfortable and that their pain and other symptoms are being managed.
• Finally, healthcare professionals should ensure that the patient has access to Furthermore, healthcare professionals should be aware of the resources available to help patients and their families navigate end-of-life issues, such as hospice care and palliative care. Healthcare Professionals Essay Discussion Paper