Guidelines To Consider When Administering Medication Discussion
A student nurse is preparing medication for her patients when another nurse called to transport a patient to the physical therapy department. This nurse shows the student the medication she has prepared for two of her patients and asks the student to administer the prepared medication to her patients. what rules should the student’s nurse follow in considering this request?
This solution was written by a subject matter expert. It’s designed to help students like you learn core concepts. Guidelines To Consider When Administering Medication Discussion
As a student nurse, there are several rules and guidelines that we should follow when considering the request to administer medication prepared by another nurse:
- Check the medication label: Before administering any medication, you should carefully check the label to ensure that it is the correct medication for the correct patient, and that the dosage and instructions are correct.
- Check the patient’s identification: Verify the patient’s identity by checking their name, date of birth, and other identifying information, such as a hospital ID bracelet.
- Confirm the medication order in which we have to confirm that prescription given by doctors are correct or not.
- Verify the nurse’s credentials: Check that the nurse who prepared the medication is authorized and licensed to administer medication.
- Use appropriate infection control measures: Before administering any medication, ensure that you have washed your hands and that you are using appropriate infection control measures, such as gloves or a face mask, as needed.
- Seek clarification if needed: If you have any questions or concerns about the medication, the patient, or the nurse who prepared the medication, seek clarification from a supervisor or the patient’s physician. Guidelines To Consider When Administering Medication Discussion
Overall, it is important to prioritize patient safety and follow established protocols and guidelines when administering medication. If you are unsure about any aspect of the medication administration process, it is always better to seek guidance from a more experienced healthcare provider.
In conclusion, when considering a request to administer medication prepared by another nurse, a student nurse should follow several rules and guidelines to ensure patient safety. These include checking the medication label and patient identification, verifying the medication order and the nurse’s credentials, using appropriate infection control measures, and seeking clarification if needed. Ultimately, the priority should be to provide safe and effective care to the patient, and any concerns or questions should be addressed with a supervisor or the patient’s physician. Guidelines To Consider When Administering Medication Discussion